Welcome to Clearly English
This is the online home of Clearly English, an innovative new app for learners of English, to be launched for Android devices in early 2024. Many hours of activities and interactive video content can help learners develop their English skills whatever their level.
Go to the Collaboration section to learn about opportunities for English Video Creators, Translation Editors, and Local Marketing Agents.
Take a video tour of the app:
Clearly English / Clearly English Pro
Vocabulary games and interactive word lists help you learn and practise the 3000 most frequently used words of English (adapted from the NGSL), with hundreds of activities ranked into 30 levels. An upper-intermediate level English speaker may have a vocabulary of about 2000 words.
You can open word lists in different views. In English View and Translation View, you can hide and then reveal either the translation or the English, to test your recall and understanding of the words. In Pronunciation View, you can listen to the clear audio models at full or slow speed, while viewing only pronunciation symbols until you reveal the spelling and translation This is great for really seeing what you're hearing, without being misled by the irregular English spelling system. In any view you can record and play back your voice to compare it to the native speakers. This is the most effective way to develop your pronunciation: to trust your own ears!
Play games and take tests to practise the meaning, spelling, usage and stress pattern of all 3000 words. Your best score for each game is saved in the menu, and any mistakes you make are stored in My Mistakes, where you can go to try them again till you get them right.
Use the phrase book to listen to and practise saying over 600 useful English phrases. Try the different viewing options for the lists, listen slowly, and record your voice as you practise pronouncing the phrases.
These are lists you build yourself with words and phrases you want to keep practising. Words from any of the vocabulary list and game activities can be saved to My Words, and phrases from the phrase book to My Phrases. Use the various list views to test your learning, and perfect your pronunciation with the voice recorder. When you feel you’ve really 'got' a word or phrase, you can delete it from your list.
In the pronunciation studio, you can hear the sounds of English clearly and learn to speak with more confidence. IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) symbols are used to practise the sounds, and there's activity and video content to help you see how very helpful the symbols are and to quickly learn them if they're new to you.
There are word lists to practise each of the 44 sounds of English, a sound / symbol recognition game to develop your ear and your reflexes, and interactive videos to help you understand and pronounce the sounds of English better, especially commonly confused sound pairs.
Added since the making of the demo video, the 3000 words in the vocabulary lists now appear with grammar class symbols in the tiles. You can learn how to use each word class in a 65-section tutorial using the original Graphic Grammar system. Graphic Grammar is prettier than Chomsky and will be in Creative Commons when published. Interactive grammar videos are also coming soon from contributing creators.
Interactive Videos: Quizzes and Auto-Recording
Clearly English videos are interactive in two innovative ways. Firstly, teachers can set one or more quizzes which pop up during the video. Question sets and answer sets can comprise text, audio, or images, allowing for many creative quiz designs. When you submit your answers, the video resumes. Your quiz score is recorded in the menu item for each video, and you can take any quiz again if you want to try to improve your score.
Teachers can also set one or more points in the video when the voice recorder will pop out and start recording automatically while the video plays. This allows for listen and repeat activities, which you can then play back to compare your voice with the teacher's voice, and repeat the recording until you're satisfied.
A retractable video tools bar lets you pause and play, jump back 2 or 5 seconds, slow the playback speed, open a video transcript, and open the voice recorder to practise saying any phrases you like from the videos.
So far, there is a set of 23 pronunciation videos, and with help from collaborating teachers, an extensive range of grammar and vocabulary videos are soon to be added.
Translations are available in 35 languages. As well as all the vocabulary and phrase book content, the video transcripts also come with translations. Buttons and instructions on most screens all appear in English, but each screen is supported by a pop-up translation box to help lower-level learners to navigate the app.
Please let us know if your language is missing and you can help us to get it included!
There are 10 pop-up help pages available around the app, which give instructions, with translations, for all activities.
Free and Paid Versions
Clearly English is a free download, supported by advertising. Most activities feature small banner ads at the bottom of the screen, and before any video can be viewed, a full screen interstitial ad will play for 5 seconds before it can be closed. Some videos are designated Pro videos, and users of the free app must choose to watch rewarded ads in order to make these accessible. Saving to My Lists is limited to 20 words and 20 phrases, at which point the items saved earliest get deleted as new ones are added.
Clearly English Pro is a paid download with no advertising, and all the video content is immediately accessible. There is no limit on how many words and phrases can be saved into My Lists.
Click to expand:
Can you make engaging and effective English teaching videos? Join the Clearly English teacher team to have your videos presented to our global user base and to take advantage of our innovative interactive video features. Set quizzes for users to take at any point in your videos, and have them record their voices in listen and repeat activities as you teach.
You should be a talented ESL teacher with a clear and engaging style who can plan, present and produce effective teaching videos. Both experienced and novice video creators are welcome to register interest, and guidance is available for those with less experience who show the right potential and motivation.
Videos can focus on any area of grammar, vocabulary or pronunciation, and will be graded for difficulty level. Teachers of beginners' English are particularly encouraged to apply. We also have openings for video teachers of business English and academic English. You'll need to link a short demonstration video with your application. For full details of the application process, video requirements and remuneration structure, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Video Creator' in the subject line.
Can you help to edit translations of the English app content into any of these languages?
Arabic, Bengali, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Czech, Filipino, French, German, Greek, Hausa, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Lao, Marathi, Myanmar, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese, Yoruba.
You'll need to be a native speaker or have a high level of proficiency in the translation language, plus a strong intermediate level of English. Translation work experience is an advantage, but enthusiasm for language learning and commitment to quality work and to the success of this app project are most important.
The app has been translated into these 35 languages using Google Translate. The primary content is the list of 3000 most frequently used English words, and the 600+ phrases from the phrase book. There are also pop-up translations for all the screen content (labels and instructions) and translations of the video transcripts. Fortunately for humans, Google still makes mistakes, so all of this translated content needs checking and improving where necessary. The quality of the translations is vital to the usefulness and credibility of the app, so having human-edited translations is a major strength.
Remuneration is by percentage of advertising and sales revenue from the locale for the language you are editing. After the initial editing job, you will be responsible for editing new content as this is added periodically. For full details of the translation requirements, application process and remuneration structure, please email email@example.com with 'Translation Editor' and your translation language in the subject line.
Local Marketing Agents
Can you market the Clearly English app in any of the language locales listed above? You will be an agency or individual experienced in digital marketing techniques, with good knowledge of the local market and culture. Belief in and commitment to the success of this app project is essential, and remuneration will be as a percentage of advertising and sales revenue from your locale. For full details of the working arrangement, application process and remuneration structure, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Marketing Agent' and your location in the subject line.
Effective Date: 4 September 2023
The app does not collect any personal information from users. We do not require any registration or authentication to use the app, and we do not collect any data that could be used to identify individual users.
The app uses the device microphone to record a user's voice on their own device and play it back to them. This data is stored locally on the user's device and is not shared with any third parties.
The only data that the app collects is anonymous usage data, such as the number of times the app has been opened or how long users spend using the app. This data is used to help us understand how the app is being used and to improve the user experience.
We take the privacy and security of our users very seriously. We do not collect, store, or share any personal information, and we use industry-standard encryption and security measures to protect the data that we do collect.
End User Licence Agreement for Clearly English / Clearly English Pro / English Pron / English Pron Pro
This End User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and English Learning Apps (the "Licensor"), for the mobile software applications Clearly English / Clearly English Pro / English Pron / English Pron Pro (the "Software"), including any associated media, printed materials, and online or electronic documentation.
By installing, copying, or otherwise using the Software, you agree to be bound by the terms of this EULA. If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, do not install or use the Software.
- Grant of License. The Licensor grants you a revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to download, install, and use the Software on any mobile device that you own or control, and to run such copies of the Software solely for your own personal use.
- Restrictions. You shall not, and shall not permit any third party to: (a) modify, adapt, translate, or create derivative works based on the Software; (b) distribute, sublicense, lease, lend, rent, or otherwise transfer the Software to any third party; (c) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or attempt to derive the source code of the Software; or (d) remove or alter any proprietary notices or labels on the Software.
- No Collection of User Data. The Software does not collect any personal data from users, and the Licensor shall not be responsible for any third-party software or services that may collect personal data.
- Ownership. The Software is owned by the Licensor and is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and treaties. The Licensor retains all right, title, and interest in and to the Software, including all intellectual property rights.
- Termination. This EULA shall terminate automatically if you fail to comply with any of the terms and conditions of this EULA. Upon termination, you shall stop all use of the Software and destroy all copies of the Software in your possession.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. The Software is provided "AS IS" and without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The Licensor does not warrant that the Software will meet your requirements or that the operation of the Software will be uninterrupted or error-free.
- Limitation of Liability. In no event shall the Licensor be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages arising out of or in connection with the use or inability to use the Software, even if the Licensor has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
- Governing Law. This EULA shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the UK, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law.
- Entire Agreement. This EULA constitutes the entire agreement between you and the Licensor with respect to the use of the Software, and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals, whether oral or written, between you and the Licensor.
- Acknowledgement. By using the Software, you acknowledge that you have read this EULA, understand it, and agree to be bound by its terms and conditions.
- Contact Information. If you have any questions about this EULA, please contact the Licensor at email@example.com.